Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Yield & Hoard

Uhh. So here's some installation shots of my piece that's in a month-long group show in my school's library (WTF, I know).  It's not my favorite work by any means (read: one of my least favorites EVER!) because of the bizarre conceptual parameters assigned to this show (it's for a mandatory studio-ish class that is required for graduation), as well as a substantial amount of time to prepare for the show (I suppose I ended up stagnating in my freedom...) however, I am a firm believer in taking pride of ownership, so I did my best to document and contextualize my reasoning for making what I made.

Anyways, here's my artist statement:

Yield & Hoard (2012)
Michelle Liane Baillargeon
Mixed media installation (ongoing)
“Play” is the locus of everything that I make.  Good luck finding any substantial literature on this subject, though.  Believe me, I’ve looked.  What research I have done, however, has often lead me to material in this dead-ended alcove.  
So I’ll show you play.  
From playing I make objects: stretchy things, shiny things, hole-y things, tentacled things, things which exist solely for my enjoyment.  Playing is a rather hedonistic process.  I also make videos.  They sort of look like my objects: nebulous, primordial, fleshy, and invertebrate, and they are derived through the same sensory-satiating means of play.  The parallel among both bodies of work is through my obsessive collection of residue: studio residue, psychological residue, digital residue.  Yield & Hoard both consolidates and archives some of the material and immaterial residues of my working process through some of my favorite objects, materials and film stills.  This is what I’ve discovered about playing.  Feel free to take a gander.






No comments:

Post a Comment