Wednesday, March 21, 2012

unfinished business

Hmm.  I sort of feel as if I am preparing for my death or something.  Okay, perhaps that's a tad melodramatic, but it's sort of true in a way.  I am working (FINALLY!!) on my grad piece, which, in a nutshell, is all of the contents of my studio+spray foam+gloopy thick layers of paint, stuffed into and stuck onto heavy, sagging nylons.  I originally figured I'd just fill the nylons with crumpled newsprint or something- anything to add volume to the otherwise static socks, figuring I'd just paint over it anyways, so I was surprised when, without giving it much thought, I ended up stuffing them with leftover material scraps, sponges, cotton balls, a bag filled with mirror shards, and pretty much anything and everything that is a remnant in my studio; inevitably fated to either disposal or misplacement in my year-end studio eviction.  So I suppose you could say I'm liquidating my worldly assets and tying up loose ends. It is rather poetic that I am stuffing these collected, accumulated bits into my grad piece- in other words putting everything I have left into my final art-school work.  Ha.  As a result, I find myself reflecting on my years spent at this institution (four in total), kind of the way one might if they were going through a deceased loved ones' belongings posthumously.  How incredibly emo of me.
Photos to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment