Monday, January 2, 2012

we must kill our darlings

Ick. I go back to school on thursday, meaning I only have two glorious, school-free days left.  Two days to lounge about and not bother peeling myself out of my sweatpants and slippers.  Christmas break is easily my favorite holiday of all, and for a multitude of reasons.  First of all, I love to get into the festive spirit and decorate and make crafts and bake cookies with my mommy.  Second of all, since it is the winter, it means that I haven't started back at my job at the greenhouse yet (and won't until april), therefore I have three consecutive weeks to do whatever I want.  No waking up early (minus the one day I volunteered for my Mom, who is a school librarian, by helping her in her library- though that was for half a day and it's always fun (if I weren't going to be doing something in the Arts, I'd definitely want to be a librarian!), and the one day I "volunteered" at a hockey tournament with my buddy for a cool $50 cash.), no dashing off to sell shit to frenzied holiday customers, and no real schedule.  I sort of enjoy waking up and having no clue what day of the week it is- the only landmarks that I use during this holiday are: the weekend trip to Edmonton for our annual family Christmas party, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Mom's birthday (the 28th), and New Years Eve.  After that, I have to start watching the calendar (my choice between my new Mr. Winkle calendar or my new 365 days of Kitties desk calendar!) to make sure that I don't miss my first day back to class.  Which, alas, is thursday.  Before I get back to the grind, I hope to spend my final days as a free woman doing some baking, shopping, chillen', and yoga- which I've missed since December the 19th.  That's just not okay.  But I suppose I should be happy, as I'm heading into my eighth and final semester at the ol' Art College.  The next time I see any real freedom (save for Reading Week), I will be an educated gal, hanging up a framed Bachelor of Fine Arts degree on my wall.  Honestly, my last four classes are promising to be fairly stress-free, given two are second year electives to fill credits, and one is my final senior painting studio, taught by an epic, jovial man who really isn't into pushing too hard.  The fourth class, FINA450, is a bit of a crapshoot, so we'll see about that, but I'm at the point where I am more concerned with what I'm going to do post-BFA, that I really just want to do the minimal amount of work possible, hopefully breeze my way into a solid grad piece, and get the hell out of there. Thankfully my grad paper is complete and finished forever, so that's out of the way, and in my jury critique last month, one of the instructors quoted Mark Twain, saying that as artists, we have to learn to "kill our darlings", by that, he means relinquish all ties to aesthetic and conceptual qualities that have roots in history and convention.  I think that's a mighty solid piece of advice to take, because now in my final semester, I am going to try to make the ugliest, weirdest shit I can possibly make, and not tether it to some specific idea or concept.  It's time to make art that is basically a clusterfuck, because after I graduate, I don't plan on being a professional artist, so I guess now is the time to enjoy it while it lasts.  (But honestly, I don't even know if I have one semester left of creative juices and/or ideas. Ugh)
April, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment