Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sassy Sally: The Zine

I decided to make an awesome Zine! So far I've written an introductory statement.  I'd really like to put on there "Editor's note" or "From the desk of the Editor-in-chief" or something overinflated like that.  Anyways, I hope the zine comes out cool, I figure now that I have two free days that I'm not spending in my studio at school, plus no car to go anywhere, I can work on this and count it as legitimate work.  Plus, since I have high hopes of being a writer, maybe this is the kind of idiosyncratic thing I can use as a portfolio or something one day.





Here it is.  The inaugural issue of Sassy Sally: The Zine.  I kind of feel like this is a hard-copy sequel to my ongoing, formerly eponymous blog.  
Who is Sassy Sally? Well, ol’ Sally is kind of like my alter-ego.  I think of her as a hybrid creature, comprised of Darlene Conner, Enid Coleslaw, and Daria.  With a little bit of Elaine from Seinfeld thrown in for good measure.  Sassy Sally is the spritely postmodern reincarnate within a world that keeps tacking on more pointless, self-negating prefixes.  I think we’ve now crossed the frontier into Post-Post-Post-Modernism.  Anyways, that’s the perspective from whom I write.  Come to think of it, I don’t think Sassy Sally is my alter-ego, as much as she’s my analogous-ego.  But with a snappier, alliterated name.  
In real life, I am a multi-media and process-based visual artist.  I’m vehemently obsessed with the tactile, and I love the dollar store more than anything, for its endless supply of cheap, colorful and sensory-stimulating items.  I hate crowds, I’m an eternal scab-picker, I furiously write to-do lists that often include the task “write to-do list”, and dogs speak to my heart more than human beings ever could.  Basically, what it comes down to is this: I am a twenty-two year old almost-BFA-grad, who is plagued with self-doubt, insecurity, and uncertainty.  I fancy myself both ambitious and incredibly lazy (an archetypal quality of the Millenial generation).  I don’t know how to put together an outfit properly, and more than likely, I’m threatened by you.  
Maybe one day I’ll expand and get an “Ask Sassy Sally” advice column.

No comments:

Post a Comment