Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Summary




For the past year and a half or so, I've had an awkward habit of clipping obituary notices out of the newspaper.  But I only go for the photos of the recently deceased old woman pictured as a young gal.  Not sure why.  It all started with Lillian (see below...somewhere.)  Her photo was so dark (literally) and melancholy and beautiful that I had to clip it out.  From there, my collection spontaneously grew.  I had no specific plans for these clippings (apart from creepily collecting photos of peoples' dead relatives) but I ultimately decided to make portraits of these gals.  Each of these is approximately 4" x 5", on ripped-up scraps of printmaking paper.  I'd hopefully like to make one or two substantially large, highly-rendered drawings on wooden panels.  I know these women, I know their stories, and I'd like to hope that they are okay with what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment